Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemisty #2) by Simone Elkeles



“You’re dangerous.”
“Why?”
“Because you make me believe in the impossible.” 

The Blurb:

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

From Goodreads

IMO:

The second installment of the Perfect Chemistry tells the story of Carlos Fuentes, second brother of Alex Fuentes, the lead in Perfect Chemisty. The story line is still cliche as it still tells the story of two people from different worlds but with different situations.

It took me quite long before I liked Carlos, even until now he is my least favorite among the three Fuentes brothers. At the very beginning of the story, he immediately comes of as a jerk. I totally hated the way he treats Alex who's just trying to be a good brother to him and put him in the right path, and also Brittany who was nothing but nice to him.

If I was hard pressed on finding a redeeming quality for Carlos, that was not the case for Kiara. Despite her flaws, I love her from the start. Her speech problem makes her more real and endearing and you just want to cheer her on.  

I adore the minor characters in this book. I find Tuck really funny and I just laugh out loud when he tries on purpose to piss Carlos off. I love Kiara's family. They are seriously the best. A dad who wants to save kids from destroying their lives, a mom who understands her husband's passion and supports it, and a brother that is just pleasant in every way. 

The gangs still play a part here but now the main antagonist of this story is Wes Devlin, a terrifying, money-hungry, drug lord with connections to a gang. I liked how Elkeles resolved this problem.

I think the romance was done well. Although I can't help but think that on Kiara's part, it kind of came out all of a sudden. At first, she was totally indifferent to the guy and then just a couple of pages, she was already in love with him. 

I also appreciate that Alex and Brittany's relationship still plays a part in this story. I know at the end of Perfect Chemistry, the epilogue fast forwarded to a couple of years later and showed us that the two ended up together. But I like it that in here, we get to see a glimpse of their life after the first book and that like any other couple, they also went through some rough patch. It makes everything seemed more real.

Conclusion:

A nice follow up to Perfect Chemistry with enough action and romance to entice the reader.


B+


*pic from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...