Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik



“I got lost in him, and it was the kind of lost that's exactly like being found.”

The Blurb:

At Coral Tree Prep in Los Angeles, who your parents are can make or break you. Cast in point:

- As the son of Hollywood royalty, Derek Edwards is pretty much prince of the school - not that he deigns to acknowledge many of his loyal subjects.
- As the daughter of the new principal, Elise Benton isn't exactly on everyone's must-sit-next-to-at-lunch list.

When Elise's beautiful sister catches the eye of the prince's best friend, Elise gets to spend a lot of time with Derek, making her the envy of every girl on campus. Except she refuses to fall for any of his rare smiles and instead warms up to his enemy, the surprisingly charming social outcast Webster Grant. But in this hilarious tale of fitting in and flirting, not all snubs are undeserved, not all celebrity brats are bratty, and pride and prejudice can get in the way of true love for only so long.

IMO:

I found this book while browsing Amazon.com after reading Catching Jordan. I've mentioned before that I was looking for other YA novels to read after that one, and this book keeps popping up on the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section. With an eye-catching title, cute cover and interesting back cover blurb, I immediately picked this up and it joined my ever growing to-read pile.

When I finally decided to read it, I was on my way home from work. I started this while waiting for the elevator and got past the middle part while stuck for 2 hours in a very bad traffic. I continued and finished it about an hour after I finally got home. 

I was totally engrossed! I was having such a huge fun reading the book that I didn't mind the traffic at all. 

I love the dynamics of the Benton sisters. How the two eldest are upright and normal while the 2 youngest are just wayward and crazy. The romance of the Benton sisters with best friends Chase and Derek are different but both are entertaining. Julianna and Chase were totally lovey-dovey with each other while Derek and Elise were awkward and with a little bit of animosity to each other at beginning. Add a bitchy girl, weird parents, uncontrollable sisters and a charming yet ill-intentioned guy, and there you have the perfect recipe for a rocky relationship.

But hey, you know what's totally the clincher? Halfway through the novel, I realized that this totally reminded me of a similar plot and the characters seemed really familiar to me. And then voila, I realized that this is actually a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice!!! I swear that I absolutely have NO idea at all before I started reading it! No wonder I was so into the story because it actually reminded me of my favorite classic. And look, the initials of the characters are also the same. 

Conclusion:

Another fun and light read. I must say I really enjoyed this book even when I wasn't aware that it was a retelling of my favorite Jane Austen classic. And since I am a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice, I think this modern retelling did good. 

A-


*pic from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...